Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Tragedy of Christmas

Author’s Note: When you wake up on Christmas morning, the first thing that you think about is what presents you have received. But what do you think Christmas is like for your presents themselves? Not many people think of what it would be like to live the life of a toy or book. As you read this story, you will find what kind of life my present may have lived as I found it lying under my Christmas tree.


Everything is dark. Literally, pitch black. I can’t see a single thing, yet I hear a ton of muffled voices coming from outside the cramped cardboard box that I’m nestled in. Well, now that I think of it, this box is quite uncomfortable. A plastic wrapper covers me entirely, and some bubble wrap and cardboard in scraping against my sides, making it impossible for me to move at all. Why do people just think about safety, not comfort when it comes to packaging?! I just have to get out of here before I die of becoming claustrophobic. As I am thinking about how poor I am and how I deserve rights and all of that, I feel someone lift up my box and move me out into an area that is freezing cold. How can the temperature change that fast? I become so confused. I decide that if I am this perplexed and scared, I should just take a break. The next moment I found myself fast asleep. But unfortunately, I had no idea what kind of life I would begin in the next couple of days.

When I woke up, everything was still dark. Uhh! I was getting really annoyed by now; this was not the kind of life I wanted to live. A life where I would live in this stupid box forever, that is. All of a sudden, I felt the box being lifted up again, yet, this time it felt different. I could hear a ripping noise, almost as if someone were tearing paper. Then the top of the box lifted up, and bright morning sunlight streamed into the box, hurting my eyes. (Well, my eyes are technically my screen in your perspective, I guess) Anyway, as I looked up, I saw a human staring down at me, a huge smile spread across her face. She screamed with delight as she tore the plastic wrapping away. Believe it or not, it actually felt good. It was nice to finally see someone who appreciated me so much, and cared about me more than anything at that moment. But to my dismay, I would not feel like this for much longer.

As she slowly lifted me up, her eyes got bigger, and she stared me down, taking in every detail. Her hands were soft and warm, like a blanket surrounding me. I felt her thumb reach for the bottom button on my side. With the press of that button, I showcased the starting page and pictured the owner’s manual across my screen for her to read. I hoped she would read it and take the time to learn how to control me, but instead she just skipped everything and went on talking to her mother (or at least I think it was her mother) about other lame stuff; such as the games, books, movies and all of that. Wasn’t she going to even pay attention to the real me? I then realized how awful this was going to turn out to be. She continued to talk and download apps and books for a while. You have no idea how annoyed I was by the time she was done. Unfortunately, it didn’t even end there! She began playing the games right after she downloaded them! What kind of world was this! I mean seriously, I am so tired and exhausted! After about an hour, she finally pressed the power button once again and I was turned off. As she ran into another room, I looked around to get a good feel of where I was exactly. Yet for some odd reason, I couldn’t see as well as I could before. Everything was blurry all of a sudden. How could this have happened? As soon as I had asked the question, I had an answer. Of course! It is so obvious. How would I ever be able to see if I had this girl’s finger prints all over my screen? Wait....I never had thought of what that really meant though. Will I ever be able to see again? Uh...Oh...! I was soon realizing, even listing, all of my new disadvantages. I was truly devastated as to how my life would be changed forever.

Well...I guess that there could be some advantages now that I think of it. Just not quite enough I’d say. At least I got my overall wish. You know, to be loved. This girl couldn’t have done anything differently. It’s not like she meant to do all of this to me, right? Even though my life would be different, I had to deal with it no matter what. This whole thing may have been out of control at first, but now I had to take responsibility and do what was right, even if I hated doing that. I was left there to think about what my life would now be like from now on. I guess this was my new life. This must truly be the life of a Kindle Fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment